Pages

Tuesday, 10 August 2021

Sawhorse Woodwork

Manufacture of a Sawhorse using Hand tools for my Building Construction  Industry Trades Organization qualification.


In term 1 2021 I learned how to use hand tools to manufacture a Saw Horse to a specific size from a set of drawings. This took about 6 weeks (24 hrs) I will explain how to make a sawhorse in this blog post


Here is my finished project.





This project was made by using hand tools only. No powered tools were used apart from a battery-powered drill to drill the holes for the screws.


I enjoyed drilling in my legs the most because it meant that I was getting closer to finishing my work


I found cutting the bottom of the legs the most difficult part because I had to get the measurements right or else my work wouldn't sit on the ground evenly. I overcame this by checking multiple times to make sure all my measurements were correct.


To make a sawhorse I carried out the following processes.


Tools I used:

Hand Saw

Chisel

Wooden Mallet

Try Square

Drills

Sliding Bevel

Marking Gauge

Plane

Combination square



For the first day or two, I was measuring my lines to cut the space where my legs would be put in. Once I marked the lines I began cutting but I couldn't cut all of it, I had to use a chisel to get the middle pieces out. Once I had finished that I needed to cut my legs out. When cutting my legs I had to cut them on an angle so that they would fit in perfectly. I then had to plane the legs down to the right angle then cut a little corner piece so they would fit. After that I needed to drill them in, most of my leg pieces fit in well. After that, I cut out the support plates and drilled them on. I then cut my support beam that goes underneath out and drilled it in and it fit well. After all that I just had to cut my feet down to size and to a flat angle so they sat flat on the ground and then I was done

  • Marking out the top.

  • Cutting the joints

  • Hand sawing the leg ends.

  • Marking out / planing the legs

  • Fixing the legs

  • Attaching the end piece and support.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - something you like about what I have shared.
2. Something helpful - add more info or ask me a question.
3. Something thoughtful - how have you connected with my learning?

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.